Re-added to blog to clarify things:
A tribute to this Sunday's session!
A number of people (including myself) have noticed an issue that the "Subscriptions" link does no longer gives you a list of all the available blogs to select. In fact, it only appears to show you your current subscribed blogs, and if you deselect one, it will actually disappear from the list. At first, I deemed this a bug in the b2btv code, but in fact, this appears to be by design.
In order to add an email subscription for a particular game/blog, you have to first pick the blog from the top of the page, THEN hit the subscription link. If you go into the Trinity page, for example, then hit subscriptions, it will not only show your current subscriptions, but also show Trinity as well.
Extra pain in the ass step to be sure, but I'm guessing that we're an "atypical" blog setup, in that there is no real "owners" of a given blog. I would guess that a typical b2evo installation would have users that frankly could care less about seeing the full list of available blogs.
Talking with Jason the other night, he said that it is "very likely" that he won't be running the Vampire game next cycle.
I've volunteered to take the spot, if it comes to pass that he can't run.
However, that means I've only got three or four weeks to prepare. I wasn't planning on running anytime soon, since Mike took the Fallout spot. I should be able to hammer something out in that small allotment of time, but it will probably be a bit of a rough start.
Since I've only got three weeks, I'm going to be running this game in my homebrew setting, called Trinity. Trinity isn't quite fantasy and not quite sci-fi; it's somewhere in-between. I'll be working on a primer of sorts, that will attempt to introduce the setting and its key concepts, so that everyone can get at least get acquainted with the setting; the link for that primer will be put up here, when I get it done. If you want an immediate idea of what Trinity is like, check out the overview page.
Trinity also has a wiki, found here. There is quite a bit of information out there, though admittedly little setting information (as compared to game mechanics); it is not necessary for anybody to read the wiki, though any pertinent information will be put on a wiki page specifically for this game, here.
I've done quite a bit of tinkering with game mechanics, and as such there is a lot of stuff out there - we've got over 50 base classes and 30-some races. What I'm thinking of doing right now would limit the class and race selection to relatively sane numbers. Also, I've done away with a few core classes in my own games (the cleric, fighter, and monk, specifically), though I imagine I'll be allowing those in the event that I run, to reduce the acclimation time. In general, I'll try to remove the mechanical additions to the setting, though some need to be retained - I'll try to make it as painless as possible.
We've kicked the Alpha code to the curb and have now achieved most glorious BETA version:
Updated the GS server tonight. From the announcement, it looks like they will be making 2.0 official soon:
Thought some of you would get a kick out of this....
This started with Scott's response to my priest Vorlan's log. He was having some issues dealing with the evil they had run into...
I am still in the process of cleaning up a few things, but:
1) When logging on via FTP, you have to go into "Public" to access the shared files. Turns out that it was the FTP server that was causing the recursive folder to appear. This minor change fixes that.
2) Fixed an issue that came up with file permissions when uploading via FTP.
3) I am working to move us to unique user accounts. JC and I have a rare moment of agreement on this: Guest access and the common dnd account are dangerous on a server with external access. I will be working with a couple of testers to make sure the bugs are out before turning off guest. Unique accounts would also open the door for a few other cool features down the road.
4) I had to make some space for the installation, so some of the movies died. I also created an Automator workflow (think graphical scripting) that will purge older stuff in that directory, which definitely beats trying to sort through that mess manually.